Sunday, March 26, 2006

Palindrome syndrome

I really do not enjoy coding in MS Visual FoxPro but I have no choice. Damn! I swear not to use it any longer after this RDBMS project.


I was asked by a friend to code a simple program to check if a string is a palindrome. I miss coding in C and assembly a lot! So to satisfy my urge, I tried to do it in a different manner. A timed coding session!



#include<stdio.h>
#include<string.h>

#define MAXSTRING 50

int main(void)
{
int i;
int ctr = 0;
char c;
char string[MAXSTRING] = "\0";
char temp[MAXSTRING] = "\0";

printf("Enter a string: ");
for (i = 0; (c = getchar()) != '\n'; ++i)
string[i] = c;
string[i] = '\0';

for (--i; i >= 0; --i){
temp[ctr] = putchar(string[i]);
++ctr;
}
if (!strcmp(string, temp))
printf("\nString is a palindrome!\n");
else
printf("\nNot a palindrome!\n");
return 0;
}

I finished coding in 4 minutes and 37 seconds. Not a good record though. So sad.

No comments: