Skip to main content

Bit masking

I was thinking of the hex to bin converter in the previous post. The fun part there was the extraction of the desired bit. With the knowledge in mind, it resulted me to devise a function in C that uses a mask to print out the bit representation of an integer.



void bitprint(int a)
{
int i;
int n = sizeof(int) * CHAR_BIT;
int mask = 1 << (n - 1);

for (i = 1; i <= n; ++i) {
putchar(((a & mask) == 0) ? '0' : '1');
a <<= 1;
if (i % CHAR_BIT == 0 && i < n)
putchar(' ');
}
}

CHAR_BIT is defined in limits.h and holding a value of 8. Try it, it’s fun. I’m bored, just extending my thanks to beandog for enlisting me in Planet Larry: Gentoo Users’ Blogs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Android Studio:Unknown Host Error

After installing Android Studio, I got the following error: Unknown host 'services.gradle.org'. Please ensure the host name is correct. If you are behind an HTTP proxy, please configure the proxy settings either in Android Studio or Gradle. Consult IDE log for more details (Help | Show Log) Solution File --> Settings --> HTTP Proxy --> Auto-detect proxy settings

Architecture Complexity

Here are the items to consider: Coding to an interface Service Oriented Architecture Automated Testing Domain Driven Design Custom Data Access Layer Layered architecture Complexity is relatively equal the number of lines of code. Note that complexity is not bad. It must be justified.

Moving on

So I bought my self a 2.5″ hard drive enclosure for about 750 bucks. I wish I have my own tools for constructing a device as such. Instead of going for a 2GB USB flash drive, I chose to salvage the 30GB hard drive of an incapacitated laptop. Cool isn’t it? Though relatively slower than a typical USB flash drive, the storage capacity outweighs it. [To God] Thanks for being there always.